Sunday, July 11, 2010

I'm a Tennessee VOL.

You know... Tennessee has always been known as the Volunteer State and I never knew nor understood why. I read a little bit about it on Shelburrss' blog once, but I really don't know much. Anyway, I've volunteered a lot over the time span of my high school career, and I decided that before I left for college, I wanted to leave a positive impact on my city. Today (well, yesterday), I volunteered for three hours at the local ThriftSMART. I managed the dressing room area and hung clothes back on the racks and straightened up the shoes and stuff like that... It was ok. I can truly say that I have a new appreciation for hanging up clothes now, though... No more hanging things up on random places, Jenn. Lol.

Umm... On the 31st of this month, I'm scheduled to help build Habitats for Humanities. Because I'm 17, I need an adult 21 years of age (or older) to come with me, so I'm hoping I have someone. :] For right now, I have my daddy, but who knows how that's gonna turn out... Why did I sign up to help with that project you ask? I don't know... I just always wanted to build a house, paint a room, or plant a flower garden or some trees for somebody. I always wanted to give somebody something that I put all my hard work and effort into... And I think this project will be the perfect opportunity. Now, I know it's gonna require a lot of time and dedication and possibly a lot of time in the sun (which I hate), but I know it's gonna be for a good cause.

I was talking to Leah about volunteering on Skype yesterday, and she seemed really excited about me wanting to make a difference. She also has been wanting to volunteer, but she's just been having transportation issues. Which can be solved, btw... ;] We've both signed up to build CARES Packages for people with HIV/AIDS and Homeless/Hungry people on August 3rd, my last night in Nashville. I think it's gonna be great... I'll get to spend my last few hours in town with someone I really care about, and we'll be doing something productive and meaningful to the city. *sniffs* I'm so proud of us... Lol. I really can't wait to get out and do things.

I hope that while I'm in Knoxville, I make some type of change... some type of difference and/or impact. I wanna like... make a mural out of a garden of pretty flowers or something... Paint a building, a mural, I don't know... SOMETHING. I wanna build a better name for myself. I wanna be known as more than just the smart Asian girl with glasses who sings and plays the drums.

... I wanna be remembered.

2 comments:

  1. aw man i need to starting doing this!
    you're inspiring lil mama!
    keep doing it <3 it'll pay off in the end!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Tell me about them below.