Before I do anything online, I always check my homepage, AOL, for any recent news updates. I don't know why, but I like to keep updated with what's going on all over the world. If it interests me, I read... If it doesn't, I pass. This morning was no different. The very first news report it had listed was about a small high school in Brooklyn that the New York State Department of Education is trying to close, along with 18 other high schools it deemed as "failing." You can read the article in full here. After reading this, I am highly disturbed confused and irritated. Everything I learned in school in US history about the struggle African-Americans had to experience in order to receive an equal education, Brown vs. Board, the Little Rock 9, seemed to have been COMPLETELY forgotten by the idiot people who are attemping to shut down 19 public schools in the state of New York. Do they not understand the damages that alone will do to the city, the community, the students, and their families? Not to mention the several hundred teachers in need of job replacements... What the fuck, New York? You are disappointing me.
What's terrible is that this small high school only graduated like 35 students out of its entire senior class of I don't know how many... The article didn't say. However, because the state is trying to close the school, there is a fear that there won't be an incoming freshman class in September. I feel so bad for that school and the rest of the public schools in danger of closure... Although the state courts ruled in favor of the wonderful teachers who appealed the state's unlawful decision, there is still a chance that the state will attempt to do it all over again next year. Bastards. -_-
Can someone please answer my question? When did shutting down schools of struggling minorities ever fix the problem of, let's say, struggling minorities? And I italicized that to emphasize my frustration. Schools are the heart of many communities. They not only provide the education that we all need to succeed in life, but they also act as the safe haven for many people -- children and adults alike. Schools are one of the few positive resources and outlets built in place that could help reduce the rates of teenage criminal activity. If you put a child in school, keep them there, enroll them in some type of extracurricular after school program, they won't have the time nor the need and/or want to do anything illegal... like selling drugs or gang banging, for example.
*sigh* I just want to know what the fuck was going through the minds of the officials who brainstormed this bullshit...
YOU GUYS ARE FUCKING STUPID, NEW YORK! >:[
Sue me.
YOU GUYS ARE FUCKING STUPID, NEW YORK! >:[
Sue me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments? Questions? Concerns? Tell me about them below.