Saturday, March 13, 2010

030.

Reading Shakiraa's post made me want do to some family searching of my own... But then I realized, Idk any of my family outside of my mom and dad. Also, whatever family of mine that is still alive, they're all residing on the other side of the world in Vietnam. Can Ancestry.com actually locate people who aren't in the United States?

... You know, it really hurts my feelings sometimes to realize that I know nothing about my family history. I wonder how my mother feels. She doesn't know either of her parents. My father's father is dead. As far as I know, I only have one living grandparent, and she's in Vietnam. I've only met her twice. I don't even know her name. I just call her Ba Noi, meaning paternal grandmother. Yes, in Vietnamese, there are two different words for your grandparents -- one for materal and the other for paternal. It's weird, but I kinda like it.

Anyway... Idk what I'm supposed to tell my children. "I'm sorry, honey, but Idk anything about your family history. All I know is that you have all four of your grandparents and a few great-grandparents. Just know that you're beautiful, little multi-ethnic children." What does that sound like? It doesn't sound good at all. I do know, though, that I want my children to know how to speak Vietnamese. I don't want them to be like me... losing sight of where they came from. I'm gonna have my parents teach them when they're young. It should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Tell me about them below.